- Job Search Strategies (PDF) (slides from presentation by the Office of Intramural Training and Education at the National Institutes of Health)
- A Job-Search Plan for the Person Without One Part One and Part Two (David Jensen for Science Careers)
- Be the Candidate (David Jensen for Science Careers)
- Your Personal Marketing Plan
- The 6 Best Communication Strategies for Nabbing a Job (from U.S. News & World Report)
- How to Make the Most of Transferable Skills (from Nature Jobs blog)
Searching for an Academic Job
- Academic Job Search Timeline (from the Office of Intramural Training and Education at the National Institutes of Health)
- Getting a Job in Academia (from Tech Associate Professor Lena Ting)
- Conducting the International Job Search (from the Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Your Official Job-Application Checklist (David D. Perlmutter for the Chronicle of Higher Education)
Finding Open Positions
- Networking and Informational Interviewing
- Professional societies often post job openings on their websites, Linkedin groups, and/or email lists.
- Using Social Media
Job Posting Websites
- Note that most of the sites below will let you save searches and will regularly email you the search results.
- General Job Posting and Salary Aggregation Sites
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- U.S. Federal
- Career Fairs. Some units and professional groups host career fairs that feature companies looking to hire Ph.D.s. Keep an eye on your email or the unit's calendar to find these.