Postdoctoral Appointment Guidelines
The Postdoctoral Appointment Guidelines include information on the following:
- Definitions of Postdoctoral Positions
- Appointment Procedures
- Term of Appointment
- Conflict Resolution
- Summary Table of Postdoctoral Appointments
- Quick Reference Guide of Policies and Procedures
Initiating the Hiring Process
- To initiate the hiring process, contact the Human Resources contact for your unit. This is also the best person to answer any questions you may have about the appointment process.
- Research Appointments (Postdoctoral Fellows and Postdoctoral Scholars). These appointments are processed by Research Faculty Affairs. The Research Faculty Affairs website details the required materials and procedures. Research Faculty Affairs maintains centralized records for all research appointees.
- Academic Appointments (Postdoctoral Teaching Fellows, Brittain Fellows, etc.). Academic faculty appointments are processed by Faculty Affairs. Guidelines for academic appointments are specified in the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook. Faculty Affairs maintains centralized records for all academic appointees as well as anyone with instructional duties.
- The most common visa types for international postdocs are F-1 OPT, J-1, and H1-B.
- The employing unit must use iStart to initiate a request for a visa petition or immigration form. To initiate this process, contact the Human Resources contact for your unit.
- Global Human Resources is responsible for processing and filing nonimmigrant employment visas (H1-B, O-1, etc.).
- The Office of International Education is responsible for approving student and visiting scholar visas (F and J visas).