Our professional development roadmap for postdocs is designed to help you navigate your path toward a successful career. Download a PDF of the roadmap.
We hope that you will take advantage of these opportunities to advance your professional development while you are a postdoctoral scholar at Georgia Tech:
- Individual Career Advising
- Writing and Communications Assistance
- Workshops & Courses
- Self Assessment and Setting Goals for Career Development
- Career Options & Exploration
- Grants and Fellowships
- Informational Interviewing
- Interview Preparation
- Job Application Documents
- Job Searching
- National Postdoctoral Association Resources
- Negotiating and Choosing a Job Offer
- Networking Opportunities in Atlanta and Online
- Mentoring Resources
- Videos & Webinars on Career Topics & Developing Skills
Individual Career Advising
One-on-one career advising is available to postdoctoral scholars. With individual advising, we can help you:
- explore career options,
- define career goals,
- develop a plan for development of professional skills,
- develop effective job application documents, and
- prepare for job interviews.
To set up an appointment for career advising, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writing and Communications Assistance
Communication Center - Offers one-on-one consultations with a professional consultant who can work with postdocs on:
- Grant and Fellowship Applications
- Job application documents (Resumes/CVs, Cover Letters, Etc.)
- Articles for Publication
- Research writing and scholarship
- Conference presentations, job talks, powerpoint presentations, and public speaking
- Conference proposals, writing letters of recommendation
- Anything writing-related* or communication-related in your field
- *Note: This is not a copy-editing or proofreading service. The Communication Center can provide you with a list of professional copy-editors who will proofread your writing for a fee.
To schedule a time, click "Make an Appointment", register yourself (ignore the glitch that assumes everyone is a student), on the top of the calendar select "Faculty/Postdoc Schedule", and then choose your appointment time.
Center for Teaching and Learning - offers consultations on faculty job application documents as well as teaching consultations.
Workshops & Courses
- Grant Proposal Development Series - offered 2-3 times per year
- Postdoc Teaching Methods Course - usually offered in the spring
- Postdoctoral Research Symposium
Training for International Scholars:
- The Language Institute offers four-week courses to help international scholars and spouses improve their English proficiency.
- Office of International Education offers information and programing for J1 and F1 visa holders.
Collaborators that also offer workshops open to postdoctoral fellows:
- Center for Career Discovery and Development
- Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL)
- Center for the Study of Women, Science and Technology (WST)
- Georgia Tech Library
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- OHR Workplace Learning & Professional Development