This page details what you should plan to do before and after your arrival at Tech. This list may not be completely comprehensive. So, be sure to consult with your hiring school/unit to ensure that all requirements have been met. Questions? Email the Office of Postdoctoral Services.
Before You Arrive
Upon Your Arrival
Your school or unit’s human resources contact will guide you through how to complete the necessary paperwork, including payroll and benefits forms. You can find out more about what documents to bring on your first day as well as orientation material on the Tech Human Resources page for new employees. You will then visit the Office of Human Resources to:
- Complete new hire documents.
- Sign tax forms (you'll need to show your photo ID and visa documents).
- Obtain a BuzzCard, which is your Tech identification card.
- Create an email account.
- Obtain a temporary parking permit, if needed.
- J-1 exchange visitors and those with F-1 visas hosted by Tech need to check-in with the Office of International Education (OIE) to complete additional required forms. J1 exchange visitors are required to attend OIE’s J1 scholar orientation.
- H-1 and incoming F-1 visa holders will need to complete online forms described on the Global Human Resources site.
- If you don't have a Social Security card yet, you're required to apply for one within 10 days of your arrival in the United States. A social security number is required of every employee in the United States.
New Employee Experience is held every two weeks. Schedule your orientation during your on-boarding session at the Human Resources (HR) Customer Service Center. You may also contact your department’s human resources representative for scheduling. This session gives you an opportunity to learn more about the culture, values, vision, and mission at Tech, including a Trolley Tour of campus.
Information on benefits and an opportunity to talk with a benefits counselor is provided during new employee orientation. Enrollment information for new employees is also available online. If you need advice, benefits counselors are available to assist you. You can schedule an appointment or submit questions online here.
- Retirement. Participation in a retirement plan is mandatory for all employees (including postdocs) and the plan selection can never be changed. If you do not select a retirement plan within 60 days of hire, the system will automatically default you to the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia (TRS), which takes 10 years to vest.
- Medical and Other Benefits. Participation is optional, and you must enroll within 30 days of hire.
If you need a parking permit, visit Parking and Transportation before your temporary permit expires. Tech encourages taking advantage of alternative transportation options like Marta, carpooling, and buses. Information on these programs can be found here, including discounted Marta passes for Tech employees.
The University System of Georgia ethics policy applies to all Tech employees. All employees are required to login to our Tech training system and complete a 15-minute online ethics training module on the new policy.
The Office of Postdoctoral Services hosts optional welcome events once or twice a year. This is an opportunity to meet other postdocs and learn a bit about available programs. Announcements of upcoming welcome events will be sent out via email.
The Office of Postdoctoral Services sends weekly newsletters that include information about events, fellowships, and other opportunities of interest to postdocs. You are welcome to subscribe here. You may also want to ask your colleagues or unit administrator(s) if there are any mailing lists managed by the unit that would be useful for you to subscribe to.